- BBC NEWS | World | Europe | The secret history of the Nazi mascotFascinating story of a Jewish boy who escaped into the forest when the rest of his town was massacred by the Nazis. After he was handed over to police a soldier helped him by introducing him to the other soldiers as a Russian orphan and he was adopted as a kind of mascot:"To this day, Alex Kurzem has no idea why Sergeant Jekabs Kulis took pity on him. Whatever his motives, it certainly helped that Alex had Aryan looks. And together, they kept the secret."'Every moment I had to remind myself not to let my guard down, because if ever anyone found out, I was dead. I was scared of the Russians shooting me and the Germans discovering I was Jewish. I had no-one to turn to.'"Young Alex saw action on the Russian front, and was even used by the SS to lure Jewish people to their deaths."
- Neither Hip Nor Funky » Freezer Paper T-shirt TutorialI've seen so many great freezer paper stenciled projects at flickr, and on various blogs, and would love to have a go myself sometime. This isn't the only tutorial out there, but it looks like a good one so keeping it handy for later.
- Simple and Elegant dressA tutorial for making one of those dresses that's got lines of elastic running around the chest/bust, but using lengths of elastic rather than elastic thread which somehow seems more do-able.
- Techniques with Theresa - Seaming knitting - knitty.comSeaming is not my strong suit so I figure I can never have enough resources handy when I need them.
- Toddlers are capable of introspection :: UC Davis News & Information ::Scientists have demonstrated that dolphins, monkeys and even rats can engage in some form of "metacognition," or an awareness of their own thought processes. But developmental psychologists have assumed that human children do not develop this capability before about age 5. Lyons and Ghetti have toppled that assumption by teaching 3- and 4-year-olds to communicate their awareness of their thought processes using pictures rather than words. "We've shown that even very young children can think about their thinking," Ghetti said. "The reason we haven't appreciated it before now is that the studies that have been used to test for it have been too verbally demanding."This reminds me of reading (and listening to a show on Radio 4) about early childhood memories a while back -- experts say lasting memories aren't formed until a child is verbal and can describe them. However in a survey of people in the UK a huge number of people reported pre-verbal memories. I know people who have really early memories - strong visual images in particular. I suspect the experts don't know everything!
- » Blog Archive » Winding a skein into a centre-pull ball
- Bella Dia: Doodling with EmbroideryI so need to give this a try. Seems as though I could make something pretty a bit at a time without thinking too much -- exactly the kind of crafty project I crave these days!
- Naptime Knits: froggy
cute knit and felted frog pattern
- SockPixie: Jewel (Free Baby Hat Knitting Pattern)
cute little hat with a border of mitred squares
- DIY Shrinky Dinks. » Curbly | DIY Design Community
- Bella Knitting: Duplicate Stitch Tutorial
- How to Make a Gathered Skirt with Knit Waistband
- U-handblog: Pricing your bags or other crafts to sell.I don't know that I'm likely to be in a place to try and make stuff to sell any time soon (or ever) but this seems like a useful reference point if you or I ever are contemplating such a thing.
- The Knitting Zone - Easy Sock Blockers / Stretchers