- No-Knead Bread - OregonLive.com
I made some of the no-knead bread after it was in the NYTimes a while back and the second batch came out really nicely and I've been meaning to make more. It's a great way to make bread for someone like me who doesn't have much time to bake, but plenty of time to let things hang around to mature for a day! And I'm entering a bread baking phase at the moment.
- BBC NEWS | UK | Education | The dead parrot curriculum
- Guardian Unlimited | A precious provision
"We were unlucky in the tragic hand dealt to our son, but blessed to have had British healthcare "
This article resonated with me. It made me remember after my first daughter died at birth (I had a 40% placental abruption at 23 weeks) getting the hospital bill for the delivery and the autopsy and everything: Obviously those people who took care of us and our baby and were doing there jobs so well deserve to be paid, but (especially as someone who grew up in the UK and still hasn't got used to the way it works in the USA) it seems unthinkable that I should have to look at a bill for that when my baby just died. And thankfully we have good health insurance, but what if we didn't? In the midst of that experience or some other unexpected turn your life upside-down event I think people should be able to focus on the very real things happening in their lives and not have to worry about what their insurance will cover, and how to afford the rest. The money wasn't really a headache for us in our situation, but it could have been, and it certainly made me think.
- Knitty: Spring 2007 - Clessidra Stockings
I think my mum would love these, she likes nice long socks. The question is should I just send her the link to the pattern or should I attempt to make her some for Christmas?
- Summer Express: 101 Simple Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less - New York Times
- Warming Report Warns of Increased Flooding - New York Times
- Dewey? At This Library With a Very Different Outlook, They Don’t - New York Times
- V-Neck Hippie Dress w/ 6 Strips - theElektron
found via :Craft
- Top 7 Tutorials for Making Your Own Shopping Tote
found via :Craft
- Tickle Turdle Wool Wrap Pattern
I've been knitting wool soakers for my daughter since before she was actually here to wear them but I've never tried to crochet one. I'm definitely much more of a knitter, but I do crochet sometimes and I hear the crochet soakers make up faster and may be a bit denser too. (Of course I should also work on my ripple blanket again one of these days.)
Friday, 20 July 2007
Links for 2007-07-19 [del.icio.us]